Saturday, August 6, 2011

New Orleans, Nola, Nawlins whatever

Wow. New Orleans was definitely an experience. Not really sure what I expected from New Orleans really. I guess a combination of the live blues band scene similar to Austin, TX mixed with a lot of matronly women calling me "baby" and "precious" alongside older men with personalities the size of Louisiana itself laughing and telling jokes to strangers. Instead, the vibe I got from New Orleans was Southern opulence smashed with extreme tourism. I felt like I was in Las Vegas at times and there was a lot of Voodoo inspired commerce.

This "house" was massive.


We met up with Steph's friend for some po boys in the Garden District at a local spot called Parasols.  Dreams came true here.  The po boys were awesome - we split a combo one (fried oysters and shrimp), which was plenty.


I was knighted by the town drunk, Chico.  I left my umbrella.. I mean my sword there.

Afterwards we made our way to Bourbon St.  We stopped off at a convenience store to grab drinks for our walk around the French Quarter where our friend was approached by some teens straight off the Martha's Vineyard ferry to buy them alcohol.  In the spirit of spring break he did.

Walking down Bourbon street nearly gave me a panic attack because it was pretty crowded, but definitely nothing compared to Mardi Gras I'm sure, although people were still throwing beads from balconies.


SO many bachelorette parties.

This place was awesome and HUGE. We walked in on Bourbon street and exited on a completely different street. There was one room where two pianos sat back to back while two players faced off in the ultimate piano duel. Then, this room, with beer steins hanging from the ceiling.

We got hurricanes because it's the thing to do.  They were ridiculously sweet and hard to drink at first, but after a couple sips these guys went down like water.

 The woman's bathroom was inside what I'm assuming used to be someone's home just after this grandeur dual velvet staircase where Deborah, the sassiest bathroom attendant was busy doing her thing.


We got our tarot cards and palms read outside of Jackson Square. Steph was really hoping this one reader, Jennifer, would be there to tell us our fortunes and fate, but we found out she was a gypsy and moved earlier in the year. :(

During the lackluster readings, our friend was giving "guy advice" to yet another bachelorette party.

We were sauntering through the French Quarter over to Frenchman St, the locals version of Bourbon St, peering in to different bars and trying to find one that suited our mood, when we were serenaded by the sounds of the Lagniappe Brass Band playing at the Balcony Music Club. They killed it! I can't try to put into words how amazing this part of the night was, but it definitely left me with a solid appreciation for NOLA.



After the band took a break, they played outside to lure passersby into the club.  They didn't gain any more patrons, but they succeeded in picking up a few more brass members.

After killing it on the dance floor, we made our way to Cafe Du Monde for coffee and beingets to end the night.

But not without leaving our mark... Steph attempted to blow the excess powder sugar on me, but I diverted her efforts with a forceful wave of my hand sending beingets, powder sugar and water across the table.  All landing on our friend.  

Sorry Stephen, you were a great host.

No comments:

Post a Comment